Our initiative is designed to provide relevant and timely workforce training, education information, employment opportunities and financial training to soldiers.
Dear Vermont National Guard Members and Families,
When thinking about employment and changing jobs it is often hard to “sell yourself.”
Especially for military members, this concept is hard to put into writing because we all are
of the understanding that it is the teams’ success that leads to victory, not solely our own
efforts. One way to bridge this gap is to think about how the military has put you above
and beyond your civilian competitors. Below, here are 5 reasons that set YOU apart, and
why employers want you to work for them.
Reasons Why Members of the Guard Make Good Employees
• Professionalism - Military employees have a high degree of integrity, an air of self-respect, and a sense of honor.
• Responsibility - Military employees know how to make decisions and take responsibility for meeting deadlines.
• Understanding Diversity - Military employees have succeeded in a very diverse workplace.
• “Can Do” Attitude - Military employees possess critical skills and understand that nothing is impossible.
• Calm Under Pressure - Military employees are resilient and know how to handle stress, both on and off the job.
After speaking with multiple human resource managers in the federal and civilian sectors, the above qualities are the
hardest to find in our labor market now. It is easy to train an employee on how to package a shipping order or how
to type a memo; what is harder to find is the soft-skills that are harder to teach such as leadership, integrity, and so
many other skills you as a member of the Vermont National Guard need to possess to be mission ready!
All of my best,
Nicholas A. Thomas
Citizen Soldier for Life Career Readiness Counselor
Office: (802) 338-3709 Cell: (802) 310-5391
Citizen Soldier For Life Feature Story
DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START?
Check out these job boards that are constantly updated with the newest positions. You can search by company, position title, pay, and/or zip code.
Federal Careers- Work for the US Government here in Vermont!
The State of Vermont- Start your career with the State of Vermont in various departments and agencies!
Jobs in Vermont- Do know what you want to do? Explore all postings for jobs
located in Vermont!